Friday, February 10, 2012

AN ARM'S LENGTH


I make clothing. I sell my clothing online to women primarily and primarily my target market is brides.  Last year I took a leap of Faith to quit my day job and concentrate all my efforts to my online stores.  I have 3 shops on Etsy and the one I have the most customer contact is with "Alice Sioux Bridal" All last year I was selling my number one product the mesh bridal shrug and a lot of the time the girls would ask me to change the sleeve to 3/4 length.  And they loved them but would comment that the sleeves were a tad long.  Hmm  mmm.  It wasn't until I had a conversation with two brides this past Fall that I put two and two together and realized that these girls don't know their elbow from their armpit~!  So I have devised a chart.  See above chart.  Rudimentary and merely a rough draft but I am hoping to school my customers on the proper nomenclature for the different lengths for sleeves.    One woman actually told me that she quote: "Always calls 'elbow' length three quarters"~!  But if you are telling me three quarter sleeve your sleeve will land precisely between your wrist and your elbow...thus 3/4 of the length of your entire arm~~!  I even do it mathematically by their own measurements.   Another bride to be told me she wanted three quarter sleeves and then she proceeded to describe above her elbow sleeves~!  You can understand the confusion when I am conducting business entirely online and as a professional designer slash dressmaker, I will make the sleeve at the proper placement. 
So here is my chart.  I am not putting anyone down, or scolding anyone, but it is imperative for all involved to be on the same page about this.  I realize girls don't have 'Home Ecomonmics' in school anymore and 'Reading' for that matter as most of them don't so why should they know where 3/4 sleeve placement is?  After all they don't read the Fashion Magazines for their articles~!
;~D
Alice

No comments:

Post a Comment